The Summer Starts Today

There is something about the last day of school and the feel of warm early summer mornings that make me think I am going to be spouting off at the mouth much more frequently than I have been... so I have added some extra gadgets to this site to help make me easier to follow..... Well at least to read I have never been easy to follow.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The smell of.......


There are certain smells I love and would do anything to protect. Yet, we all agree there are smells that even now you could imagine and gag from. Chicken waste.....yuck.....A full diaper Genie.......A trash can in hot sun with 4 day old shrimp shells....ugg...stale beer... feeling a little sick here. Good smells are more subtle. I love the smell of oil paint drying on a canvas. My eldest told me that it is akin to the smell of apple orchard in the fall, which is another great smell. Back in art school my best friend, who shall remain nameless (Cheryl), said that her paints looked good enough to eat. I totally agree because they certainly smell good enough. The opening of my paint box always makes my mouth water ever so slightly.....kinda gross. (I am not promoting the eating of oil base paint and have never tried them......They will make you sick!) The Caswell and Massey Soap Black Current may smell good enough to eat but it's still soap. (Not that I would know anything about that and there was no"Dare"involved.) The BookBarn on a sunny day, Colchester Bakery, fresh cut grass, cookies or apple pie baking. Stop and think about the last time you entered a house on a really cold day when the oven is on, the smell like a blanket around you. I know why Americans eat so many cookies. I associate well being with warm cookies. Everyone talks about the smell of babies and after I had mine I realized just how far I would go to protect that smell. It is primal. Recently, I was sitting at a baby shower with my youngest on my lap. He has just left toddlerville and the world that awaits is still a little scary. I was talking to another mom reminiscing about baby smells. Including my son I told them both that I loved smelling behind his ears because the baby smell still lingered there and I took a good big sniff.....My son inclined his head to our friend and said....."Want some?"

1 comment:

  1. So I used to hate the smell of my parents house, I'd go to sleep overs and the other kids would say "you smell like smoke" (little meanies!). Now, the smell of the wood stove in the winter is so warm and comfortable, I miss it.

    ReplyDelete